Author Topic: When you are discouraged. . .  (Read 2965 times)

Offline nm_mom

• View Profile
    • Email
When you are discouraged. . .
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:09:41 am »
. . . what do you do to uplift yourself again?

I am really starting to feel discouraged lately and it's getting harder and harder to just brush it off and be chipper about things?  I am trying really hard not to get down because I don't want my kids to get discouraged, but it's getting exhausting.

I fast every Sunday and go to the temple a couple of times a month, which is about as good as I can do for the moment.  The last time I went, I felt worse when I came home than before I went.  DH gave me a blessing last time he was here, but even that just didn't do it for me.

I guess I just need some fresh ideas or a new pep talk because the old one seems to be broken.  Ideas. . . ?

Offline egillespie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: When you are discouraged. . .
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 08:49:14 am »
Let's see, you have sunshine, you have the Gospel, you are close to perfect.....I'm thinking you are deficient somewhere. Take Vitamin D in addition to your multivitamin. And fish oil (EPA/DHA, lots of omega 3s). Can you swallow stuff? The supplement that helps me the most after that is SAMe, but it's a little expensive.

I've had way too much experience with this.  :-[

Offline ldsmomof5

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:42:23 am »
I am trying to remember....are you the sister that is waiting for your house to be sold so you can go live where hubby is working?

I have experienced this alot lately.  I feel I have been pleading for a LONG time about something that has really been bothering me.  It has been years and years (so it seems to me) and it doesn't feel like my prayers are heard....although I know He hears. 

I wonder what it is I am supposed to be learning here.  It has to be a test.  But what type of a test?  How long does this test last?  I guess life is one big test.  I guess we will always have something on our plate so that we can trust in the Lord.  I go to HIM all the time with my concerns.

I probably have not gone through what you are going through but the feelings I think I have.  I understand and feel that pain and sometimes wonder LORD, are you really there?  Do you hear me? 

All I know is that we cannot give up.  We cannot let Satan win this battle.  Some are tested more than others but I know that there will be a time when all the temple attending, fasting, prayers will pay off. 

Keep doing what you are doing.  He is testing us and molding us into something that will help us to become like Him.  Sometimes the stronger we are the harder we are tested.

And I think you must be pretty darn strong.  Continue with that strength and keep moving.  You are amazing and the Lord knows it.  He knows you can overcome this. 

My prayers are with you at this time.

Offline nm_mom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:15:11 am »
I am waiting for the house to sell.  It's been so long that our listing expires this week and we have to decide what to do.  On top of that, DH is losing his housing at the end of the month and we have to find him a new place to live as well.  And then there's lots of associated financial garbage, too.

I've pretty well got the vitamin thing down.  I feel like a pill machine these days.  I did try SamE until the night I had severe vertigo after taking it.  Don't know if it's related to that or some fluky thing, but right now I'm not willing to risk it again because I have no back-up if I am sick or out of commission.

I do keep reminding myself that there's something I'm supposed to learn.  I guess I'm just a slow learner.

Offline thegreatesthugger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 12:51:29 pm »
I think many of us feel what you feel at times in our lives and it is not easy!

We all get discouraged though we don't express it. I have found for me personally that pulls me up in my hard times is the music I listen to. I don't listen to any sad, negative music/words at all. And I believe most of us feel we are all alone during these moments of discouragement..it would be nice to just have someone that could sit right by us and just let us open our hearts and soul to them without any judgement, just open arms and love.

Then pick ourselves up and move forward. Believe it or not...service is a wonderful opportunity to overcoming these hard times, not dwelling on them. I went to a very uplifting talk last week and the speaker mentioned "that for change to occur we need to be aware of what needs to be changed, awareness". And then make the very best of the circumstances, do alot of praying and look to the Lord for guidance, follow his spirit and not let Satan into our lives.

I wish for you a better day, lots of sunshine and hugs coming your way....

Offline snoopy8385

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:44:05 am »
I know where you're coming from even if my circumstances were not the same--the hard part is when you are wading through and you don't realize all the wonderful things that are making a difference and we can't see the lessons until the end. You just keep doing what you are doing. You read your scriptures, you say your prayers, you love your little ones. You serve others and realize we all have trials and problems--some are the ones we can see and others are not. And you keep putting one put in front of the other and carry on until one day you are the other side and see what you learned through it all. This may sound trite and that I don't realize your pains and heart aches--but I do--but sometimes we just have to keep slugging through the slop until we come out on top. And if you can get someone to help you out and give you a break and some "me" time that will help to--or if you can get some couple time too.

Offline nm_mom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 07:29:47 am »
Thank you all for your words of encouragement.  It really does help.  Today is a little better.  DH and I had several long chats on the phone yesterday (thank goodness for Verizon and "in" calling).  We are needing to make some big decisions this weekend and I was feeling rather boxed in, but your encouragement helped me to pull myself up and go do some additional research and now things are definitely looking up as to the direction we should go.  Just waiting for DH to go to the temple tonight and report back.

Offline ldsmomof5

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 07:44:22 am »
The song "Count Your Many Blessings" just popped into my head. 

This is the first verse.  I think this was actually for me. 

1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Glad to hear things are going a bit better.

Offline huri

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 08:34:05 am »
I just don't give up. Even if I want to.
"Love should be our walk and our talk." Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Offline pitterpatterchildren

• MSN Messenger - pitterle@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Pitterle Postings
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:18:25 pm »
Remember, that sometimes we can't change anything except our own attitude towards the difficulties.  I know that is not a lot of comfort, but I promise that I have been there and when I force a smile on my face and then to my heart, I start to realize the difference.  There are ALWAYS blessings that come after difficulties.  Sometimes, it just means that we have to get through the difficulties first.  See if you can borrow the CED by S. Michael Wilcox called the 4th Watch.  It is amazing and deals with just these things!  I have learned so much by borrowing it (several times) that I finally broke down and bought it a few weeks ago.  It has really helped me through some of my own trials.  I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you will find comfort and peace.  Remember when the Savior came to the disciples on the water?  In the scriptures it tells us that he watched them from far off.  Soooo, I think he could have stopped the storm before he did, but what lesson would they have learned?  What teaching would they have written about?  What testimony would they have borne?  It is the same in our lives.  He knows what we need and sometimes the hardest thing we will ever do is to trust in Him.  May your day be better and your weekend be full of rest!
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.  Life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline snoopy8385

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 03:37:34 am »
I thought of one more thing last night after I went to bed but I was too cold to get up and write--I just kept chanting to myself "Trust in the Lord thy God and lean not thine own understanding in all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy path". I think I have something wrong there--but it is Proverbs 3:5-6 and at this late hour I am probably wrong there too. Did my situation change? Yes. The way I was hoping--yes and no. Do I see some amazing things now that wouldn't have happened without the trial? Oh yes. Without the trial of our faith there is no growth--just really hard to deal with while we are in the midst of them. I hope these come around for you and your family soon.

Offline nm_mom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 08:17:35 am »
The song "Count Your Many Blessings" just popped into my head. 

This is the first verse.  I think this was actually for me. 

1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Glad to hear things are going a bit better.

This song keeps popping into my head, too.  It's always been one of my favorites--my non-LDS grandmother used to play it on the organ for us when we were little and have us sing it with her.

DH was able to go to the temple last night and got confirmation on our course of action.  It's some degree of work on my part, but I feel really good about it and know it's the way for us to go.

Our real estate listing expired yesterday (yep, 6 months already) and we have decided not to re-list it.  We're going back to the FSBO route because, after doing some extensive research on the market in our area, we strongly believe our home is overpriced--and we have hit the floor in pricing with having to pay the agent commission.  We get a lot of passer-by traffic, but none have ever turned into offers or even showings.  We are always in the top two or three after a showing, but never any offers.  By getting rid of the commission issue, we can actually price the house where it should be.  And, after watching nothing happen for 6 months, I figure I can at least as well as them with my marketing knowledge--and a vested interest in getting the job done.  Wish me luck.

Now, we still have to find a new place for DH to live by the end of the month, but at least one problem is solved.  Anyone have a room for rent or need a house sitter in the Denver area?

Offline elmozhere

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 02:23:20 pm »
Ok, I have this problem a lot...about six months ago I started on a project that has literally been a life saver to me. I made a scrapbook. I call it my Tender Mercies book. I found a cheap scrapbook software at office max that lets you create a page in minutes. Then I started making scrapbook pages of all the things that make me happy. This way on my bad days I can pull it out and visually remind myself of all the good things I have in my life. I have a page on prayer, where I wrote about a time when I had a very cool experience in answer to a prayer. I have a page for each member of my family and for my friends. I have pages with song lyrics that lift me up, cool quotes I've read...etc. 

This book has been a blessing in 2 ways. One it gives my mind something positive to focus on as I'm creating the page. Second it does help to not only sit down and think about your blessings, but to have a visual reminder of them.

Hope that helps

Offline terrisue

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 10:55:14 am »
I love Elmoz idea!  These things are just part of life sometimes!  We have all been through tough things whether we like  it or not.  S Micheal Wilcox's talk IS amazing and I noticed that it has now been published into a "Classic Talk" book at DB.  It is called "When My Prayers Seem Unanswered" I have listened to it on BYU-TV and on line several times. It truly helps to put things in perspective.  I highly recommend it!  But I also have to keep a picture in my ,mind when I am walking this unwelcome path--that is one of the  Pioneers. Some days they were in deep, deep mud and only managed to make it,perhaps a 1/4 mile.  But Brigham would NEVER just let them sit and wait for thing s to get better--they were required to get up,, have prayers and get on with getting on!   I find it  a greatly helpful metaphor! Find the talk and read it--it will be incediable helpful and just  keep on with keepin' on--you will get through this!

Offline momita

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 08:41:41 pm »
I am in a very similar situation, and it does sometimes seem overwhelming.  It would help if selling the house and moving were the only trial in our lives right now, but of course that is never the case.
Anyway, on Sun. in RS the lesson talked a little about the trials we all must experience to help us grow and progress.  There was one quote by Joseph F. Smith (I think) that said something like, "Our Heavenly Father wants for these trials to purify us, not defeat us."  That really stood out to me.  Never give up!  Best wishes!