Author Topic: BYU-Idaho Advice  (Read 7459 times)

Offline luv5kdz

• View Profile
    • Email
BYU-Idaho Advice
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:54:25 am »
My daughter was accepted at BYUI.  I need to establish a new bank account for family finances, so I plan to use one where I can set up her account to be able to easily transfer funds when needed.

I need to know what bank is most conveniently located to the campus, and which dorms are recommended to seek a contract in.

Also, her track assignment just arrived and she is crushed it is for winter instead of fall...any suggestion?  Should I call and try to get her reassigned?  Will they open up spots if kids enroll at other colleges where they are accepted?  Is Winter maybe better?

Any more advice is VERY welcome.  This is my oldest child :) I am happy and proud of her.  I want to give her the best we can - in spite of our lovely economic situation!

Offline penelopeanne

• Hello from Penelope Anne. I'm Gail's blue cat.
    • MSN Messenger - gailz42@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Shurtleff Counseling & Consulting Services
    • Email
Re: BYU-Idaho Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:01:25 am »
Well I have to comment on the track.  They all have pluses and the Winter has MY NEPHEW.  I've never heard a student complain about any of the tracks.  BYU-I seems to be like a big family. 

As for dorms she might not be in time to get an on campus place she should hurry up there.  From my experience they are pretty much all the same.  If friends are going there at the same time that can be fun.

I"m alive.  I'm set free.  I have danced in the rain and now I get to dry off!!!!  Yippee!!!!!  Oops...no towel.

Offline snoopy8385

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:00:26 pm »
you can't change your track once it is assigned. On line I found Key Bank, US Bank and Bank of America. If she knows someone going to BYU-I she can ask about places to stay. There are lots of housing choices out there. You can check things out here:  http://www.byui.edu/Housing/

There is a faq page about housing etc. She'll be fine--and love it. Hit the sales now for winter clothes. I have known students who love this track because they work in the fall/Christmas season and it is easier to find a job than summer at home.

Offline luv5kdz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:50:37 pm »
Well, Penelope...if you nephew is a nice RM, I know a great freshman who would love a good friend :)

What I like most about Winter...is having my daughter home for just a few months without the pressure of school while all the other rugrats are gone to school each day :) Realisitically...once she checks out of here, I do not expect her back permanently.  O, it could happen, but there is just too much stress here for her right now.  Between the situation with her dad, and her brothers in the hole, and Stockton making the 2nd WORST place to live in the entire US (which was actually an improvement from last year when we topped the undesirable list).  I think we would enjoy some quality mother/daughter time before she is gone for good.

Now watch, she will step out into the real world and come running back thinking I am less dumb, her dad isn't such a bad guy afterall, and her brothers - well they will probably appreciate her more too.  I hope NOT!! I hope she cuts the strings and really gets to soar.  SHe is a great kid.

I had already poked around the site, and looked up area banks.  I was hoping for some insider information, so I called the help desk at the school today.  Phone was answered by a student - a blonde one I am sure (jk)  But I still have to decide between Wells Fargo and US Bank.  We left WF years ago because of all their hidden fees and unreasonable service, so I am leaning toward US Bank unless someone recommends otherwise.

I am sad to hear they are inflexible on the track thing, but I guess they have to be.  I hope she will look on the bright side, and start looking for a job she will enjoy here as school starts to slow down.  Just three months left and that includes Spring Break and a couple of odd days off.  I can't believe she is almost done with her senior year.

I am hoping she does not need a car.  Car=expense + freeloaders  It could also = too much freedom or on the bright side = opportunity to come home and be with family when she can afford to get away.  What do you think about a freshman with her own car?

Offline knancy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:51:29 am »
My DD is a student at BYU-I.  We are big believers in using credit unions because they don't pound you with so many fees.  Beehive Federal Credit Union is right there in Rexburg and there are one or two ATMs on the campus itself. 

As for dorms, most students chose to live off campus.  The beauty of that is that the apartments for students all operate under basically the same guidelines as the dorms with regard to the honor code, performing periodic clean checks, etc.  Also, most are located right around the campus, so even if she is without a car (as my DD is), it's not a real problem to walk. 

Winter Semester is the worst semester for snowy weather, so I heartily recommend a good jacket from someplace like Land's End or LL Bean that is rated for weather down to -20 F.  It doesn't always get that cold, but it's windy there and that extra warmth makes a difference.  For Christmas I bought DD a pair of yaktrax (http://yaktrax.com/) to wear while walking to school and back home.  The campus has heated sidewalks (33F) to keep the ice at bay and make it safer, but once you are off campus, it's a different story. 

About the car:  Is your DD used to driving in icy conditions?  That's one reason why I'm glad DD (who learned to drive here in South Carolina) doesn't have a car out there. 

If you have more questions, send me a PM.  I'll be glad to answer.

Offline mom244ever

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:05 pm »
I don't have advice about BYU-I but I'd second the credit union.  We have always belonged to one and we have a second account with Wells Fargo.  You are absolutely right about the hidden fees.  Every credit union we have been with has been upfront with fees and they have been very minimal compared with WF.  Many times credit unions belong to a network that will allow you to work with credit unions in other states.

About winter track, my nephew is on that track and he's an RM.  He lives at home since his dad teaches at BYU-I.  He's a sophomore, a fun and out going person.  I think he's dating someone right now but it could always not work out!

Offline pitterpatterchildren

• MSN Messenger - pitterle@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Pitterle Postings
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:40:19 pm »
I love the credit union because they usually have a sister network that will allow them to withdraw money for free from that credit union.  You can use any Post Office to debit funds when cash is needed.  Also, convience stores and grocery stores debit without charge and most provide cash back options.  With the convience of debit, it is not quite so important to have the "same" bank. 8)
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass.  Life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Offline luv5kdz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 11:03:50 pm »
I am looking for a bank that I can deposit in from home, and she can use it out there.  I think I may be able to just do an electronic transfer, like a billpay or something.

The bank I just left is a credit union.  They were WONDERFUL at first, then turned into a mess at the end.  My husband has his own business as an appraiser with a business account at a separate bank.  The bank his father used when he was a small child.  All the checks go into the business account, and I take a monthly draft, like a paycheck, into my account as the family account, where all bills and family expenses come from.  This way, the business account can grow a little nest egg to use when the business isn't doing as well - sort of my feast or famine insurance.  During the famine, I have a reserve to get by till things get better.  Anyway, our credit union by our home, stopped accepting large check deposits when my balance is low.  My balance is always low at the end of the month because it is the bill pay account and as things have been very slow lately and I could only draw what I absolutely needed, the balance was going to be low before I made a deposit...so I could pay more bills.  In January, they said they were going to place a hold on a smaller check than I normally deposit and I about died.  I had bills to pay, and they wanted to hold the check.  SO, they held it. I thought that meant I couldn't draw cash -- I didn't want cash, just to pay bills like always.  SO they dinged my account $30 for each overdraft that was paid, EVEN THOUGH THE MONEY WAS THERE!  So, next I get the rent check.  I need the money for the mortgage on the rental, and no time to hold the funds, so I go to renters bank to cash it.  Wells Fargo took 40 minutes to process the cashing proceedure.  Sit and wait, talk to a banker, requires thumbprint on check, check the account, check my id, banker leaves, waits for teller to finish transaction and dispense cash, slowly returns, asks me to open my own account with them, hands me the cash and says goodbye.  By the time I got to my bank, it was closed.  Next time I had a check to deposit, I closed my account instead!

I am going to call Beehive on monday, and see if they are contracted with Chase or any other major banks.  Chase has been wonderful to my daughter.  She opened her accout there for the free $100 :)  They text her on her phone when her balance is low, so she will never write a bad check!  Too bad Rexburg doesn't have a Chase branch!

Thank you for the advice on the snow/ice shoes!  DD has very little snow experience.  Thank you for the reassurance there are RM's there :) she has been so reserved about dating, but I think it is because the LDS pool of good guys is so small, she just isn't interested.  I am excited for her to go to school where she will have tons to choose from. 

I look forward to more advice as our decisions become bigger.  Thanks sisters!

Offline jellibug

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:49:32 pm »
we have a daughter headed to BYUI for winter/spring track, we were both relieved that it is so long away, gives her time to take some pre req classes here at home and make $$ before she starts there.

Offline jellibug

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 12:50:24 pm »
I LOVE BYUI ( Ricks) it's where I met my sweetie!